Archives Return to Forum | Archive Index
Welcome to the Forum Archives! We are pleased to bring you a searchable archive of forum threads posted between November 2007 and April 2009. Please note that the Forum Archives are READ-ONLY.
Search:     Advanced search

+  Persian-Cats.com Forum Archives
|-+  Etcetera
| |-+  Introductions
| | |-+  Persian on my Doorstep...need help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Send this topic | Print
Author Topic: Persian on my Doorstep...need help  (Read 1942 times)
DudesMom

« on: March 19, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »

About 2-3 weeks ago someone abandoned their beautiful Persian kitty on my doorstep, in a carrying case, with a bag of food.  Sad On a night it was storming.  :shock:

This is the first pet I've ever had. His name is The Dude and I love him. Cheesy

I'm having some concerns. For the past week, it seems he's become skiddish. First off, after the first two days, he started sleeping with me in my bed. In the last week, whenever I get up and then try to get back in he flees like he's afraid. He's been cowering when I go to pet him and last night he slept in the living room, after running out of mine. It concerns me because he's an incredibly cuddly kitty who usually wants constant attention. My mother and son live with me as well, and they've both noticed the same behavior.

Is there something physically wrong with him? I've been sick with the flu the last few days, is it possible that he got it?  

I'm a little confused and scared. I don't know if I should do something or just back off and give him time.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
twokatz

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

What kind of flu have you had, stomach or coughing?  When I cough and have a respitory flu it scares my cats too, especially when I first got them.  Now they just don't like and will take off when I start coughing, before they were very frightended. Is it just happening at that time or other times.  How great that someone brought this kitty to just the right place.

Dianne
PURRfection
daisychain

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

Hi Michelle, first I want to say welcome to the site

That kitty is lucky their previous owner happened to pick a friendly doorstep to abandon him on.

Has he gone to the vet? I don't know if there is something that would cause him to act that way but it's best if you know of anything that could be going on with him.

Hopefully he's just a little confused by that big sound you've been making lately Wink and will relax soon.

We'd love to see a picture of Dude!!

Karen, Maddie, Ginger and Bailey

~* Proud members of the Diamond Ball Club *~

DudesMom

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

Unfortunately, this behavior started pre-flu. I haven't really been coughing much, more achy than anything. I was just afraid that he could get it.

I took him to the vet the day after he was left to me. He got a check-up, vaccines, flea dip. The next day he got a Lion's cut, because he was so badly matted.

And thank you for the compliment. He's really sweet, so he made it really easy to love him.

I just can't think of anything to explain his behavior. Maybe I should take him to the vet?
twokatz

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

The Vet would be a good place to start just to be sure, and mabey get some advice. Is there anyone or anything that might have scared him? It could take some time, let us know, and I forgot to say welcome :oops:

Dianne

Dianne
PURRfection
cleonjay

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »

I would take him to the vet to be sure. It's possible he isn't feeling well and doesn't want touched right now. You don't say how old your son is, so I was wondering if he may have been too rough with him? Try putting your hand out palm up and try to rub under the chin. It's possible he was abused before and a hand coming from above could be scary (he may think that you are going to hit him if he was abused before). Go slow and remember he needs your love. Bless you for taking in this furbaby!

Purrs,
Jaycee, Maid Marianne, Darla, and Sugar Plum >^..^<
~k~

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

A vet visit sounds like the best idea.  Thank you so very much for loving Dude and giving him a great home.  He's lucky to be in your care now.

~k~

RIP Sasha :heart:
1992-2007
gaigesmom24

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

Sorry to hear that Michelle, but i hope you figure everything out! It was very nice of you to take dude in and love him like that!! Cheesy  Cheesy

Ashley & Romeo
Misskitty

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »

Welcome!! I hope it all works out.

~ April ~
    ~Romeo & Coyre~
Knitwreck

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »

Welcome, I think you will find lots of support and helpful
advice here.

Perhaps Mr. Dude is taking time to adjust to his new
home, I'm so happy that you've taken him in, obviously
your home was chosen as a kind and loving home for
a cherished pet.  

He will settle in, it never hurts to take him to a vet
just to rule out any illness.

Hope you can post pictures of him soon,

Mary

"Ask not what your cat can do for you; ask what you can do for your cat" - Vanna
Azurine101

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »

welcome to our site..
  second, many times cats react to pain that way, my Bluie goes under the bed and is very touchy.. also if there have been any major changes in your household or a strange cat lurking outside, can cause stress like this. I agree, your vet needs to see him. good luck Pat

kissakatje

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »

Hi Michelle and Dude,

Wow, your kitty got very lucky to land of the doorstep of someone who will love and care for him ...

I think if would be wise to start at the vets ... just to be sure he isn't in pain or so.

It is possible that he's had a rough start somewhere else and is afraid under certain circumstances.  For example, maybe in his previous home something bad happened when the owner got up in the night ... maybe the owner was ticked off to have the cat nearby and punished him so now he's afraid you'll be the same way.  The cowering when you go to pet him could indicate he's hand shy (due to some form of maltreatment previously) or it could mean he's ill or that he just still "needs his own space".  Jaycee's suggestion of extending your hand to him palm up (so as not to make him think you're going to "grab" him) is a good one.  It could also be that he just needs time.  The fact that he started sleeping with you after just a couple of days I'd say is a EXCELLENT sign.  The fact that now he's off sleeping on his own could, once again, mean a variety of things -- he could simply need "time" or he could be sick (so it's worth "erring on the side of caution" by going to the vet to make sure you get off to the best start possible).

Thank you for taking in this sweet boy and loving him.  It's really hard to say with certainty if he needs some veterinary attention at the moment or if he needs just some adjustment time.  But to be sure you're off to the best start possible, I would take him to the vet just to be sure ... well worth it in the long run.

Hugs to your boy ... love to see pics of him!

Katlyn and Tosca

"Tosca ... light of my life"
DudesMom

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »

I'm just so truly touched and overwhelmed by the support that The Dude and I have been receiving here! Cheesy Thank you all so much. As a first time pet owner, your input and guidance is so very appreciated.

Well, it turns out he's allergic to the eye wipes I've been was using on him. Which is not surprising since he went into anaphylactic shock and began to seize after he received his vaccinations. So I've decided to go all natural with all products I use on him. From only using water and paper towels to clean his face to organic, sensitive skin, bath lotions.

He's fine though. I think you're right, he needed sometime to get used to his new surroundings and the shock of leaving his old owner, in addition to not feeling good because of his eyes. He's up and down all night long. He's both with me and running around causing a ruckus in the middle of the night.  Tongue He's even fine with my sneezing! =)

Oh but to answer the question about my son. He's 19 and has a kindred bond with all animals. My mother also lives with me and tends to have the same bond as my son does. They both love Dude. My son is just completely elated.

A million thank yous!
~Michelle
DudesMom

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=288525&l=3df2e20ff5&id=1407858770
DudesMom

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:13 PM »

I can't get his pic to load...darn!
Pages: [1] 2 Send this topic | Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: