Home | Community Home | Gallery | Breeder Finder | Contact Us | Community Guidelines
Forum Index 
This read-only archive contains a partial list of threads posted prior to our 2007 forum migration.

Archive: Urgent Help
Care & Grooming | Health | Urgent Help | Cat Show Corner | Raw Diet | Breeding

« Back

Cancer or Polycystitis iamthetrigger 2006-11-16 19:25:09
Just got back from the vet tonight after taking my 6 year old Persian, Cassanova. He was urinating/defecating outside his box - at first I thought it was stress (we had some visiting kittens) but took him to the vet to check.

Turns out it is cancer or Polycystitis, neither one good news at all (would need a lot of testing to check but the vet was certainly negative about outcome as his liver is enlarged, kidneys hard and he's jaundiced) and we're running on borrowed time. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can make him more comfortable? He's still purring and eating, but he has trouble keeping food down and is losing weight (and he's always been then anyways). Any special foods that anyone could reccomend to tempt a nauseous cat or OTC kitty vitamins? The vets were kind, but couldn't suggest much besides an anti-emetic shot, lots of fresh water, and making him comfy. We're on a really limited budget, but I'd like to do what I can for my sweetheart.

Distraught,
Michelle and her Cass

Replies:

scraggles 2006-11-17 14:48:27
I am so sorry to hear that about your baby. I lost my baby to kidney faliure this year so I know how you are feeling. All I can say is enjoy your baby and when you know your baby is suffering then do that horriable thing and have him put to sleep.remember we are all here for you if you need to talk.

« Back

azurine 2006-11-18 08:36:39
Basically what Kelly said and your vet is about all that can be done. Make him comfortable.. see he gets plenty of fresh water.. you may be able to give it to him sub q, not a lot due to his kidney failure but enough to keep his tummy calm. it is easy to give that way, you just insert a needle under the loose skin in his neck ,like an Iv..try giving him very bland food.. rice baby ceral mixed with puree chicken or turkey, you can use baby food meet.. use water to mix ceral not milk as milk products would up set his tummy. If he has a favorite place to sleep give him a heating pad with a blanket over it to sleep on, the heat eases pain and discomfort.. the shots for his sick tummy help.. have his litter tray near by so he does not have far to go to get to it.. a little catnip helps.. lots of love and gentle hugs.. and watch for him to let you know it is time.. he will start purrrrrrrrrrrrring a lot,, my Bear did, they shiver, some develope a rattle in their lungs.. and his eyes will let you know.. good luck and God be with you.. and give him a kiss from us Pat and family

« Back

iamthetrigger 2006-11-18 10:21:11
Thank you everyone for your kind wishes! Cass is actually doing very well - still eating and being suprisingly cheerful. And our vet keeps calling for check ins.

I'll see about the sleeping pad - he might really enjoy that!

M

« Back

cougar11 2006-11-18 19:36:22
Keep us posted
I hope things are going ok for you both, it must be a very frustrating and upsetting time for you. Give your baby all our love,
Lisa, Mudji & Bosco

« Back

KenJ 2006-11-19 18:16:11
Back in the Fall of 2004, I took my then current boys to the vets. Both were 18+. Katmandu the First had been diagnosed as auto-immune back at age 3. Years of prednisone followed.

The word came back. Kat was in failing health. Age aside, his condition was taking its toll. I was told 3 to 6 months. We made the most of his remaining time. He remained his loving self up to the end, just slower. Had to use a stepstool to get up on the bed.

A tough little guy. He made it just past his 19th birthday. I came home Easter morning to find that he had passed.

Fortunately, it was about a month later that I first saw pictures of a little BEW persian who was destined to become Kat II.

Kat II has done a wonderful job of filling those paws and earning his name. And, as a bonus, I've got little brother Leo, an angelic little lion... (-:

« Back

cleonjay 2006-11-20 11:40:47
I'm sorry to hear about your baby. Sounds like Polycystic Kidney Disease w/cancer??? PKD is rampant in the persian breed. Very important to find a PKD neg cattery when looking for babies. So sad what you are going through.
Pat gave some great insight to dealing with this.
Purrs and hugs to you and your family,
Jaycee

« Back

iamthetrigger 2006-12-04 19:23:35
Thank you everyone for your support. I tried calling the breeder, but it seems that she has gone out of buisness. Cass is still hanging in there - doing pretty well and still cuddly. He's loving the electric blanket and extra attention! He's tossing his cookies 3+ times a day, and skin-ny! but we're making do.

Michelle and Cassanova Puss'ncat

« Back

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Community Guidelines
Copyright © 1998-2009 Persian-Cats.com, High Minded Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.