Persian-Cats Home | Gallery | Community Guidelines
It is currently Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tommy's progress
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:21 am 
Champion
Champion

This past spring, I was using a vaporizer on my little angel Moe as he was congested. When I took him to the vet he said the vaporizer was a good idea and to keep using it on him.

http://www.whispurrpaws.info/
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:24 pm 
Grand Premier
Grand Premier

Tommy is still congested, but feels much better. I successfully get a jar of baby food into him every day and he does drink on his own, so he actually gained weight! He's been out in the house today since it is warm in here. He is starting to act more like a normal kitten, so I am guessing he will be back to normal very soon.

The vet who saw him (my regular vet was off last Saturday) said since he had the beginnings of pneumonia, I should be careful adding water to the air when he already had fluid in his lungs. Makes no sense at all to me--I have had pneumonia and the one thing that made it feel better was moist air because it didn't feel tight and burn then. Anyway, his humidifier is in his room and it has Vick's in it to try to clear up his congestion.

He's out of danger as long as I keep feeding him, but I am definitely ready for him to take over his basic maintenance on his own--I have been stressed to the absolute max these past 8 days.....

I will take pics when he looks better. He really does look icky right now (cute, but icky).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 pm 
Champion
Champion

Come on Tommy... give your mom a well deserved break and please start eating on your own... you can do it! :)

http://www.whispurrpaws.info/
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
Grand Premier
Grand Premier

Great to hear Tommy is feeling better!

As for the vaporizer and pneumonia, not using one doesn't make much sense. Pneumonia is fluid in the lungs and it usually is thick slimy fluid that needs to be coughed out. The water in the air makes the phlegm thinner and easier to cough out. This is why in hospitals they give humidified oxygen to pneumonia and bronchitis patients. Admittedly, if you had 5 vaporizers going in a small room and turned it into a tropical rainforest, that might not be good.

As for the syringe feeding, patience. He actually may be finding the syringe feeding comforting and sees you as his replacement mom. Think of this as bonding time! Besides, it could be worse -- I'm on week 6 of syringing (off and on) Maggie. :)

You can't save all the cats in the world,
but for one cat, you can save their world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:32 pm 
Best in Color
Best in Color

I hope he doesn't get pneumonia and have a set back. It sounds like he is doing better, keep it up Tommy and get 100%. :D

Dianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Grand Premier
Grand Premier

He's really keeping me on my toes! Today the congestion in his chest is more pronounced than it has been since early in the week. I finally submitted and gave him a teeny, tiny dose of prednisone because his poor little nostrils were almost closed with congestion. Nostrils are open, but he's still congested in his chest. I gave him a shoulder and back massage and very gently tried to pat some of the fluid loose like one can do to a very congested baby. He still isn't eating on his own, but he is gaining weight because he gets between 1 and 1 1/2 jars of baby food every day. I am having company Tuesday-Sunday, so I really hope he can start improving dramatically tomorrow. I will move his stuff down to the office while company is here. It's warm there and I can put a space heater in there to make sure it stays toasty. Grr. I want him to be able to be out with everyone else and feel better!! I am going to make an appt. with the vet for tomorrow to see what is going on. I have never had a cat this sick for this long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 pm 
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

aw, Denise, I was hoping the latest report would be better. I hope the prednisone will give him (and you!) some relief. Come on, Tommy! :heart:Mind your mom and get well!

Kittens are born with their eyes shut. They open them in about six days, take a look around, then close them again for the better part of their lives. -- Stephen Baker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 am 
Open
Open

*!! haven't been on here for a couple of days. Didn't know Tommie got ill, thought he was blessed to find you and all sister, brother cousins. I felt he was blessed to find you, didn't know you were having health issues! I know no matter what, he's in the best hands!

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2